Kathrin Zuberbühler received her PhD in applied biosciences from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich). Her work in the group of Dario Neri focused on the development of vascular-targeting antibody drug conjugates and the application of phage display technology to isolate and optimize antibodies for the treatment of cancer and chronic inflammatory conditions. Kathrin then moved to Philochem AG, a spin-off company of ETH Zurich, where she worked on an antibody discovery program for molecular biomarkers. Awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the Swiss National Science Foundation, Kathrin joined the lab of Charles Craik at University of California San Francisco where her research focused on the generation of antibodies against complex membrane proteins.
In 2016, Kathrin joined Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. where she established the phage display antibody discovery platform as part of the newly formed antibody engineering and technology group. Kathrin headed the company’s phage display antibody discovery efforts for therapeutic, campaigns and implemented new technologies and antibody engineering strategies including panning approaches for membrane protein targets and library generation from immunized transgenic animals.
Kathrin joined Distributed Bio, now part of the Charles River family, in July 2020 where she is leading a team of scientists focused on antibody isolation and optimization.
- I. Corvo, F. Ferraro, A. Merlino, K. Zuberbühler, A.J. O'Donoghue, L. Pastro, N. Pi-Denis, T. Basika, L. Roche, J.H. McKerrow, C.S. Craik, C.R. Caffrey, J.F. Tort. “Substrate Specificity of Cysteine Proteases Beyond the S2 Pocket: Mutagenesis and Molecular Dynamics Investigation of Fasciola hepatica Cathepsins L.” Front Mol Biosci. 2018 5:40.
- S. Dang, S. Feng, J. Tien, C.J. Peters, D. Bulkley, M. Lolicato, J. Zhao, K. Zuberbühler, W. Ye, L. Qi, T. Chen, C.S. Craik, Y.N. Jan, D.L Jr. Minor, Y. Cheng, L.Y. Jan. “Cryo-EM structures of the TMEM16A calcium-activated chloride channel.” Nature. 2017 552(7685):426-429
- K. Zuberbühler, G. Casi, G. J. L. Bernardes, D. Neri. “Fucose-specific conjugation of hydrazide derivatives to a vascular-targeting monoclonal antibody in IgG format.” Chem. Commun., 2012 48(56):7100-2.
- K. Zuberbühler*, A. Palumbo*, C. Bacci, L. Giovannoni, R. Sommavilla, M. Kaspar, E. Trachsel and D. Neri. "A general method for the selection of high-level scFv and IgG antibody expression by stably transfected mammalian cells." Protein Eng Des Sel. 2009 22(3):169-74. *Equally contributed
- G. Casi, N. Huguenin-Dezot, K. Zuberbühler, J. Scheuermann, D. Neri. “Site-specific traceless coupling of potent cytotoxic drugs to recombinant antibodies for pharmacodelivery.” J Am Chem Soc., 2012 134(13):5887-92.
- D. Sgier, K. Zuberbuehler, S. Pfaffen and D. Neri. "Isolation and characterization of an inhibitory human monoclonal antibody specific to the urokinase-type plasminogen activator, uPA." Protein Eng Des Sel. 2010 23(4):261-9.
- C. Schliemann, A. Palumbo, K. Zuberbühler, A. Villa, M. Kaspar, E. Trachsel, W. Klapper, H. D. Menssen and D. Neri. "Complete eradication of human B-cell lymphoma xenografts using rituximab in combination with the immunocytokine L19-IL2." Blood 2009 113(10):2275-83.