Dr. Michel Assad is an accomplished biomaterials scientist with over 25 years of experience in preclinical research and product development. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from McGill University, a Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering and a PhD in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Montreal, and then completed a Fellowship in Materials Science at the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium.
Michel joined AccelLAB in 2009 (now a Charles River Company) and oversees all orthopedic, hard and soft musculoskeletal research activities. He also serves on the site’s leadership team and senior management committee, and is currently the vice-chair of the IACUC Committee. His scientific expertise includes biocompatibility, soft and hard tissue integration, in addition to safety, efficacy and performance evaluation of various orthopedic biomaterials and biologics.
Michel is an active member of the US Orthopedic Research Society (ORS) and the US Society for Biomaterials (SFB). He is also an SCC Mirror Committee Member (ISO/TC 150/SC 4 - Bone and Joint Replacements) with the Standards Council of Canada (SCC). Dr. Assad is the author of over 120 publications and scientific presentations in the biomaterials field. He currently serves as the associate editor of the Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology Journal (Biomaterials Section).
- Biocompatibility evaluation of orthopedic biomaterials and medical devices: a review of safety and efficacy models. In R. Narayan (Ed.), Elsevier, Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 281–309, 2019.
Selected peer-reviewed articles in periodicals:
- Characterization of an acute rodent osteomyelitis infectious model using a tibial intramedullary implant inoculation. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology – Biomaterials, 2020, 8:567647, pp.1-10.
- Histopathological evaluation of orthopedic medical devices: the state-of-the-art in animal models, imaging, and histomorphometry techniques. Toxicologic Pathology, 2019, 47(3), pp.280-296.
- Fracture healing and bone remodeling with human standard-sized magnesium versus polylactide-co-glycolide (PLGA) plate and screw systems using a mini-swine craniomaxillofacial osteotomy fixation model. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2018, 76(10), pp.2138-2150.
- Enhanced bioactivity and osseointegration of PEEK with accelerated neutral atom beam technology. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Applied Biomaterials, 2017, 105B(3), pp.531-543.
- Efficacy of silicate-substituted calcium phosphate with enhanced strut porosity as a standalone bone graft substitute and autograft extender in an ovine distal femoral critical defect model. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 2016, 27(1), 20.
- Biocompatibility and strength retention of biodegradable Mg-Ca-Zn alloy bone implants. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Applied Biomaterials, 2013, 101B(2), pp.201-212.
- Porous nitinol for lumbar intervertebral fusion in an ovine model: Part 1. Histomorphometric and radiological analysis. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research (Applied Biomaterials), 2003, 64(2), pp.107-120.*
Selected scientific presentations in conferences:
- Porous asymmetrical beaded coating bone ingrowth evaluation using an ovine bilateral long-bone model. 66th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Phoenix, AZ, USA, February 8-11, 2020.
- Osseointegration and biocompatibility evaluation of silicon nitride composite using ovine distal femoral epiphyseal insertion and rabbit paravertebral muscle implantation models. 65th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Austin, TX, USA, February 2-5, 2019.
- Novel accelerated neutral atom beam processing as a PEEK surface treatment: a four-month preliminary study using an ovine lumbar intervertebral spinal fusion model. 64th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, LA, USA, March 10-13, 2018.
- Evaluation of bone substitutes using a rabbit posterolateral lumbar intertransverse process spinal fusion (PLF) model: a subchronic pilot study. Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials, Minneapolis, MN, USA, April 4-8, 2017.
- Osseointegration and defect repair with a new porous titanium screw in ovine long-bone models for gap-healing, osteonecrosis, and bone ingrowth. 62nd Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Orlando, FL, USA, March 5-8, 2016.
- Safety and efficacy of PEEK intramedullary nail fixation system using an ovine tibial fracture repair model. Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials, Charlotte, NC, USA, April 15-18, 2015.
*Title modified due to its sensitive nature.