Russell is the Group Leader for Translational Biomarkers at Charles River Laboratories. He is a member of the British Society of Immunology and has over 20 years of experience working with immunological assays. Russell was awarded his PhD in 2000 and joined KWS BioTest in 2007. KWS BioTest was acquired by Charles River in 2018. He was elected as Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology in 2021.
- Sood A, Salih S, Roh D, Lacharme-Lora L, Parry M, Hardiman B, Keehan R, Grummer R, Winterhager E, Gokhale PJ, Andrews PW, Abbott C, Forbes K, Westwood M, Aplin JD, Ingham E, Papageorgiou I, Berry M, Liu J, Dick AD, Garland RJ, Williams N, Singh R, Simon AK, Lewis M, Ham J, Roger L, Baird DM, Crompton LA, Caldwell MA, Swalwell H, Birch-Machin M, Lopez-Castejon G, Randall A, Lin H, Suleiman MS, Evans WH, Newson R, Case CP. Signalling of DNA damage and cytokines across cell barriers exposed to nanoparticles depends on barrier thickness. Nat Nanotechnol. 2011 Nov 6;6(12):824-33.
- Garland, R.J., Groves, S.J., Diamanti, P., West, S.E., Winship, K., Virgo, P.F., Robinson, S.P., Oakhill, A., Cornish, J.M., Pamphilon, D.H., Marks, D.I., Goulden, N.J. and Steward, C.G. Early emergence of PNH-like T cells after allogeneic Stem Cell Transplants utilising CAMPATH-1H for T cell depletion. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2005.
- Al Shanti, N., Steward, C.G., Garland, R.J. and Rowbottom AW. Investigation of alpha nascent polypeptide associated complex functions in a human CD8+ T cell ex vivo expansion model using antisense oligonucleotides. Immunology 2004. 112: 397-403
- Al Shanti, N., Steward C.G., and Garland, R.J.. Optimisation of functional efficacy of phosphorothioate-modified oligonucletides in a human CD8+ T cell ex vivo expansion model. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 2003. 58: 462-470
- Garland, R.J., El-Shanti, N., West, S.E., Hancock, J.P., Goulden, N.J., Steward, C.G. and Rowbottom, A.W. Human CD8+ CTL recognition and in vitro lysis of Herpes Simplex Virus-infected cells by a non-MHC restricted mechanism. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology. 2002. 55: 61-9
- Rowbottom, A.W., Garland, R.J., Lepper, M.W., Kaneria, S.S., Goulden, N.J., Oakhill, A. and Steward, C.G. Functional Analysis of the CD8+CD57+ Cell Population in Normal Healthy Individuals and Matched-Unrelated T Cell Depleted Bone Marrow Transplant Recipients. British Journal of Haematology 2000. 110: 315-321.
- Rowbottom, A.W., Lepper, M.W., Garland, R.J., Cox, C.V., Corley, E.G., Oakhill, A. and Steward, C.G. Interleukin-10 induced CD8 cell proliferation. Immunology 1999. 98: 80-89.
- Garland, R.J., Kaneria, S.S., Hancock, J.P., Steward, C.G. and Rowbottom, A.W. The use of Teflon cell culture bags to expand functionally active CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Journal of Immunological Methods. 1999. 22: 53-63.
- Knechtli, C.J., Goulden, N.J., Hancock, J.P., Grandage, V.L.G., Harris, E.L., Garland, R.J., Jones, C.G., Rowbottom, A.W., Hunt, L.P., Green, A.F., Clarke, E., Lankester, A.W., Cornish, J.M., Pamphilon, D.H., Steward, C.G. and Oakhill, A. Minimal residual disease status before allogeneic bone marrow transplantation is an important determinant of successful outcome for children and adolescents with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Blood. 1998. 92: 4072-9.
- Knechtli, C.J., Goulden, N.J., Hancock, J.P., Harris, E.L., Garland, R.J., Jones, C.G., Grandage, V.L., Rowbottom, A.W., Green, A.F., Clarke, E., Lankester, A.W., Potter, M.N., Cornish, J.M., Pamphilon, D.H., Steward, C.G. and Oakhill, A. Minimal residual disease status as a predictor of relapse after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. British Journal of Haematology. 1998. 102: 860-71.
- Goulden, N.J., Knechtli, C.J., Garland, R.J., Langlands, K., Hancock, J.P., Potter, M.N., Steward, C.G. and Oakhill, A. Minimal residual disease analysis for the prediction of relapse in children with standard-risk acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. British Journal of Haematology. 1998. 100: 235-44.