Sulochanadevi Baskaran is a passionate Protein Scientist and Structural Biologist with extensive experience working on challenging targets in neuroscience and oncology. She received her PhD in Biochemistry at Indiana University School of Medicine focusing on the structural enzymology of glycogen synthase. Sulo conducted her postdoctoral research on the structural organization of protein complexes involved in autophagy at the National Institute of Health and University of California Berkeley. She began her industrial career at Denali Therapeutics and her team was responsible for the production and characterization of protein targets for early discovery campaigns and target engagement studies. She later transitioned to Frontier Medicines and was responsible for establishing a state of art protein science lab and managed protein and structural biology needs managing internal and contract research organization (CRO) resources.
Sulo joined Charles River Laboratories in 2021 and is leading the protein science group at the South San Francisco antibody discovery site.
- Kariolis MS, Wells RC, Getz JA, Kwan W, Mahon CS, Tong R, Kim DJ, Srivastava A, Bedard C, Henne KR, Giese T, Assimon VA, Chen X, Zhang Y, Solanoy H, Jenkins K, Sanchez PE, Kane L, Miyamoto T, Chew KS, Pizzo ME, Liang N, Calvert MEK, DeVos SL, Baskaran S, Hall S, Sweeney ZK, Thorne RG, Watts RJ, Dennis MS, Silverman AP, Zuchero YJY. (2020) Brain Delivery of Therapeutic Proteins Using an Fc Fragment Blood-Brain Barrier Transport Vehicle in Mice and Monkeys. Sci Transl Med. 12(545):eaay1359
- Nugent A, Lin K, van Lengerich B, Lianoglou S, Przybyla L, Davis SS, Llapashtica C, Wang J, Kim DJ, Xia D, Lucas A, Baskaran S, Haddick PCG, Lenser M, Earr TK, Shi J, Dugas JC, Andreone BJ, Logan T, Solanoy HO, Chen H, Srivastava A, Poda SB, Sanchez PE, Watts RJ, Sandmann T, Astarita G, Lewcock JW, Monroe KM, Di Paolo G. (2020) TREM2 Regulates Microglial Cholesterol Metabolism upon Chronic Phagocytic Challenge. Neuron. 105(5):837-854.
- Stjepanovic G, Baskaran S, Lin MG, Hurley JH. (2017) Unveiling the role of VPS34 kinase domain dynamics in regulation of the autophagic PI3K complex. Mol Cell Oncol. 4(6):e1367873
- Stjepanovic G, Baskaran S, Lin MG, Hurley JH. (2017) Vps34 kinase domain dynamics regulate the autophagic PI3 kinase complex, Molecular cell 67(3):528-534.
- Mahalingan KK, Baskaran S, DePaoli-Roach AA, Roach PJ, Hurley TD. (2017) Redox Switch for the Inhibited State of Yeast Glycogen Synthase Mimics Regulation by Phosphorylation, Biochemistry 56(1):179-188.
- Baskaran, S., Carlson, L. A., Stjepanovic, G., Young, L. N., Kim do, J., Grob, P., Stanley, R. E., Nogales, E., and Hurley, J. H. (2014) Architecture and dynamics of the autophagic phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase complex, eLife 3.
- Ge, L., Baskaran, S., Schekman, R., and Hurley, J. H. (2014) The protein-vesicle network of autophagy, Current opinion in cell biology 29, 18-24.
- Chikwana, V. M., Khanna, M., Baskaran, S., Tagliabracci, V. S., Contreras, C. J., DePaoli-Roach, A., Roach, P. J., and Hurley, T. D. (2013) Structural basis for 2'-phosphate incorporation into glycogen by glycogen synthase, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110, 20976-20981.
- Baskaran, S., Ragusa, M. J., and Hurley, J. H. (2012) How Atg18 and the WIPIs sense phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate, Autophagy 8, 1851-1852.
- Baskaran, S., Ragusa, M. J., Boura, E., and Hurley, J. H. (2012) Two-site recognition of phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate by PROPPINs in autophagy, Molecular cell 47, 339-348.
- Khanna, M., Chen, C. H., Kimble-Hill, A., Parajuli, B., Perez-Miller, S., Baskaran, S., Kim, J., Dria, K., Vasiliou, V., Mochly-Rosen, D., and Hurley, T. D. (2011) Discovery of a novel class of covalent inhibitor for aldehyde dehydrogenases, The Journal of biological chemistry 286, 43486-43494.
- Baskaran, S., Chikwana, V. M., Contreras, C. J., Davis, K. D., Wilson, W. A., DePaoli-Roach, A. A., Roach, P. J., and Hurley, T. D. (2011) Multiple glycogen-binding sites in eukaryotic glycogen synthase are required for high catalytic efficiency toward glycogen, The Journal of biological chemistry 286, 33999-34006.
- Baskaran, S., Roach, P. J., DePaoli-Roach, A. A., and Hurley, T. D. (2010) Structural basis for glucose-6-phosphate activation of glycogen synthase, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107, 17563-17568.
- Travers JB, Edenberg HJ, Zhang Q, Al-Hassani M, Yi Q, Baskaran S, Konger RL. (2008). Augmentation of UVB radiation- mediated early gene expression by the epidermal platelet-activating factor receptor. J Invest Dermatol. 128(2):455-60.