Ecotoxicology data is a fundamental requirement for registration submissions in a range of industries, including agrochemicals and industrial chemicals. They also form the basis of Environmental Risk / Impact Assessments (ERA & EIA) for both human and veterinary pharmaceuticals.
Charles River has extensive experience in the design and conduct of ecotoxicology studies and our portfolio includes studies to assess the toxicity of test articles to a range of species, including:
- Waste-water bacteria
- Algae, aquatic and terrestrial plants
- Daphnia and fish
- Soil microorganisms
- Freshwater and marine species
We also provide a full analytical service for the method validation and routine analysis required in support of many of the aquatic studies.
Plant & Aquatic Species
- Activated sludge respiration inhibition (OECD 209)
- Algal growth inhibition (freshwater and marine) (OECD 201)
- Acute and prolonged toxicity to Daphnia magna (OECD 202, OECD 211)
- Acute (96-hour) and prolonged toxicity to cold- and warm-water fish (e.g., rainbow trout, bluegill sunfish, carp, fathead minnow, zebrafish) (OECD 203)
- Fish embryo toxicity test (FET test) (OECD 236)
- Fish, toxicity test on egg and sac-fry stage (OECD 212)
- Fish early life stage (OECD 210)
- Radiolabeled (or cold) bioaccumulation and/or metabolism in fish (OECD 305)
- Lemna spp. growth inhibition (OECD 221)
- Acute and prolonged sediment water toxicity test to Chironomus riparius (OECD 235, OECD 218, OECD 219)
- Sediment-water toxicity test with Lumbriculus (OECD 225)
- Acute and reproduction toxicity to earthworms (OECD 207, OECD 222)
- Collembolan reproduction in soil (Folsomia candida) (OECD 232)
- Plants, seedling emergence and growth (OECD 208)
- Ready biodegradation tests (e.g. OECD 301 B/D/F, OECD 310)
- Inherent biodegradation tests (e.g. OECD 302/B)
- Simulation tests (e.g. OECD 303/A)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Ecotoxicology
What ecotoxicology studies are required to register an agrochemical product?
You may need a range of studies in your program, depending on the class of active in your product.
How should I assess the ecotoxicity of my pesticide?
You may need to perform a range of different studies. The exact program design will depend on several factors including the class of active substance, the stability of the formulation, the metabolites formed etc.
What are ecotoxicology and environmental safety studies?
Ecotoxicology and environmental safety studies can be used to assess the potential effects of a chemical in the environment. Environmental Fate studies help us to understand how the chemical substance behaves within various environmental scenarios recreated under laboratory conditions.
What is ecotoxicology of human pharmaceuticals?
As human pharmaceuticals undergo biotransformation within the body before excretion, ecotoxicology studies can be used to assess the impact of pharmaceutical metabolites once they enter the environment.