Eureka's Top 10 Posts of 2018
From hearing loss and hair toxicology to Typhoid Mary and horseshoe crabs. A look back at Eureka's Top 10 posts of 2018..
- Fun Facts About Horseshoe Crabs. You may know how valuable a horseshoe crab’s blood is for detecting endotoxins, but what else do you know about these marvelous creatures? Take this quiz to test your underwater I.Q.!
- Listen Up! The Effects of Ototoxic Drugs Can Be Serious.When assessing the safety of their drug candidates, pharmaceutical companies should think about testing for ototoxicity.
- Typhoid Mary Should Have Washed Her Hands. A simple task like washing your hands goes a long way in alleviating the spread of communicable diseases.
- Hair’s the Thing… Den Bosch toxicologist advances the forensic profiling of hair, a treasure trove of information about a person’s personal habits.
- Between 3Rs: Do New Gene Editing Tools Mean Fewer Animals? Innovations in breeding and genotyping are helping refine and reduce the use of research animals.
- A Fitness Model for Tumors. Genomic mutations underlie uncontrolled cell growth but new research demonstrate how to turn these mutations into a tumor’s weakness.
- Test Your Pathology. How many pathologists have won a Nobel? How many childhood cancers? And what is the earliest warning sign of atherosclerosis? Take our pathology test and see how much you know.
- The Art of the Zebrafish. How a Charles River scientist’s images and movies are helping to inform our understanding of vascular development.
- The Pursuit of a Universal Flu Fighter. Are we closer to vaccines that will protect us against influenza’s many diverse strains? An interview with pioneering scientist Peter Palese.
- Unlocking Tumors with Molecular Tools (Video). A Charles River panel discusses innovations that might help make tumor models more robust and predictive.