Can Ferrets Help Fight COVID-19?
Ferrets are extensively used in biomedical research in fields such as virology, reproductive physiology, anatomy, endocrinology, and neuroscience due to common anatomical and physiological features they share with humans.
Ferrets have been used specifically to study both the pathogenesis and treatment of many cardiovascular and respiratory diseases in humans, such as human influenza, airway physiology, cystic fibrosis, gastrointestinal disease, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
Scientists seeking a model best suited for research to develop treatments and vaccines for COVID-19 have found that ferrets can effectively replicate the SARS-CoV-2 strain. Research published recently in Science has confirmed that viral samples delivered to ferrets through the nose or windpipe replicated in the upper respiratory tract better than in other animals and were undetectable in other organs.
As a result of these findings, researchers have concluded that ferrets are an ideal animal model to evaluate antiviral drugs and vaccine candidates for COVID-19.
Support for Your COVID-19 Research
Discover how we can support and accelerate your work with your biologic.
With decades-long experience, let us help support your COVID-19 programs with the following:
- In vivo assays established for research and development, in support of immunogenicity and anti-sera studies in ferrets
- In vivo assays established for research and development and GMP, in support of attenuation testing in ferrets
- Ex vivo supporting assays established for research and development and GMP in support of hemagglutination (HA), hemagglutination inhibition (HAI), and embryo infectious dose (EID50) using embryonated eggs
- Custom-designed laboratory for influenza studies
- Individually ventilated cages for ferret housing
- Rooms with ante-room entry
- Separate laboratory for supporting assays
Let's work together to get your therapy to market faster.