Integrative human cardiomyocyte assays have an important role in assessing cardiac safety. Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) differentiated into human cardiomyocytes (SC-hCMs) and grown in monolayer cell culture provide test systems for assessing drug effects on cardiotoxicity (cell impedance recording) and electrical activity (ECG-like field potentials) in multiwell assay plates as a means of evaluating risk in intact, beating human cardiac stem cells.
Impedance Assay Benefits
- Label-free and hands-free assessment of cardiac risk over multiple days
- Cardiotoxicity and proarrhythmia liability
Multiple Electrode Array (MEA) Benefits
- “Heart in a dish” provides familiar ECG-like signal
- Surrogate for QT liability and arrhythmia
- Higher throughput and lower cost compared to action potential assays