Eureka’s Top 10 Stories of 2019
From phage therapy and antibiotic resistance to rare diseases and drug abuse research, here are Eureka’s Top 10 Stories of the Year.
- Dysbiosis and Inflammatory Bowel Disease.A microbial imbalance in the body seems to correlate with IBD, but does it actually cause it? Maybe, maybe not.
- Drug Abuse Liability Assessment. Amid the ongoing opioid crisis gripping the country, what can pharmaceutical companies do to prevent new medications from being abused?
- Even with Cancer, there is a Road Forward. A father’s second cancer diagnosis was not the Christmas greeting his family expected. Fortunately, with innovative therapies, he has a good chance of beating it.
- Will a Haunting Rare Disease Finally Meet its Match? In Sanfilippo syndrome, a missing gene, and the critical enzyme it codes, cause a cataclysmic chain reaction in the CNS. What are researchers doing to try and reverse it?
- A New Antibiotic is Slowly Making a Big Entrance. Phazolicin or PHZ is the newly discovered ribosome-disrupting compound. Why this is a really big deal in antibiotic development.
- The Protective Effect of Gilbert Syndrome. Rare diseases do not always lead to restricted and shorter life spans. Sometimes they can actually help improve survival.
- Jaci’s Genes. An Iowa woman fights the aggressive ALS that claimed her twin sister.
- Candida auris: A Dangerous Fungus Among Us. The deadly, drug-resistant infection is wreaking havoc in hospitals; what can laboratories do to identify it?
- An Ancient Voice for Our Ecosystem. Keeping an eye on the kids. New Jersey researchers hatch a plan to raise baby horseshoe crabs and then track them in the wild
- .How Ready Are Your Cleanrooms for Annex 1 Updates? Annex 1 updates: The impact on Microbial ID Strategy on cleanroom qualifications for pharma manufacturers