Charles River’s portfolio of solutions for safety assessment, toxicology, rapid contamination testing, and microbial identification provides all the necessary services and products needed to protect your brand’s reputation, customers’ safety, and bottom line.
Click on the tabs below to explore our cosmetic and personal care product testing solutions for rapid microbial detection, microbial identification, safety, and toxicology.
In today’s cosmetic and personal care marketplace, one mistake in formulation or quality control can change everything in the success of your product and company. How do you plan to ensure the safety and toxicology of your new products? Once in production, how do you plan to find and identify the bacteria or fungi in your product, so your customer never does? With our cosmetic testing solutions, you can rest assured that these concerns are solved before ever reaching your customers.
Safety and Toxicology
Many acute toxicity tests are being effectively replaced by in vitro human, animal, and 3D tissue alternatives. This shift is particularly evident in skin irritation, skin corrosion, and skin sensitization models.
As a full-service provider, we are also ready to assist you with a range of analytical, genetic toxicology, endocrine disruptor, and ecotoxicology services, as well as QSAR and/or Weight of Evidence (WoE) support from our regulatory team.
Celsis Rapid Microbial Detection
For years, the world’s leading consumer care and cosmetic manufacturers trusted our Celsis® rapid microbiology detection systems and ATP bioluminescence test kits. By using the same gold standard detection methods as the largest manufacturers, growing companies can reduce traditional growth confirmation assays from 3-5 days down to 24 hours, minimizing hold-time costs and confirming product quality sooner.
Accugenix® Microbial Identification and Strain Typing Services
One QC failure can change everything. Personal care and cosmetic product manufacturers follow CGMP guidance to minimize risk of contamination and to ensure consumer safety. Environmental monitoring (EM) of the production facility is a key requirement, including accurate identification of microbial isolates and trending of EM data. Our Accugenix® microbial identification solutions are the answer to fast and reliable results.
Charles River is ready to help you with your personal care and cosmetic testing needs. Many acute toxicity tests have been, or are being, effectively replaced by in vitro human, animal and 3D tissue alternatives. This shift is particularly evident in skin irritation, skin corrosion, and skin sensitization models, all of which are fully supported at Charles River.
Using ATP bioluminescence, Celsis rapid microbial detection will take the guesswork out of testing your cosmetics for microbial contamination. Celsis automated instruments replace subjective traditional tests using eyecounts with an automatic analysis, while minimizing changes to your current validation test preparation methods and reducing the overall test time by more than half.
Celsis rapid microbiology can be validated and demonstrated as a suitable replacement for the following traditional cosmetic microbiology test methods:
• USP <60> Microbiological Examination of Non-Sterile Products Tests for Burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia) Complex
• USP <61> Microbiological Examination of Nonsterile Products: Microbial Enumeration Tests
• USP <62> Microbiological Examination of Nonsterile Products: Tests for Specified Microorganisms
• ISO 21148 Cosmetics – Microbiology – General Instructions for Microbiological Examination
• ISO 21149 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Enumeration and Detection of Aerobic Mesophilic Bacteria
• ISO 18415 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Detection of Specified and Non-Specified Microorganisms
• ISO 16212 Cosmetics – Microbiology – Enumeration of Yeast and Mold
Releasing contaminated personal care and cosmetic products poses a greater risk to consumer safety and your brand now more than ever. The old methods of “dirty” manufacturing are no longer acceptable in today’s competitive market. In order to move away from a manufacturing philosophy that inherently carries a certain level of risk, quality must be preserved from start to finish. Raw materials, in-process samples, and final product testing should be implemented as part of a good manufacturing process, addressing contamination earlier and faster.
Our rapid microbial detection systems include the following:
Celsis Advance II™ system is designed to deliver definitive results quickly. Capable of running 120 assays per hour, high throughput manufacturers can cut days off their production cycles and reduce working capital requirements.
Celsis Accel® takes the robustness and ease of use of the widely adopted Celsis Advance II™ platform and packages it into a small footprint. With a throughput of 30 assays per hour, this system is specifically designed for small and mid-sized pharmaceutical, home, and beauty product manufacturing facilities.
Environmental monitoring is a fundamental aspect of cGMP compliance and is a proven strategy for contamination risk mitigation for cosmetic manufacturers. Accurate identification of environmental isolates plays an important role in this strategy because it helps record the routine flora of the facility and allows the quality system managers to detect and analyze any deviations from the norm.
We provide the following microbial identification services for the personal and cosmetics industry:
• AccuGENX-ID®: The DNA sequence of each sample submitted for identification is compared to the validated Accugenix® library – the industry’s most up-to-date database for environmental isolates, encompassing over 10,000 relevant species. Our expertise includes the ability to distinguish between very closely related microorganism groups to the species level, such as Burkholderia cepacia complex and many others.
• AccuPRO-ID®: The MALDI-TOF assay yields a unique protein spectral fingerprint that is then compared to the Accugenix® validated database for bacterial and yeast identification. This solution provides higher accuracy rates and faster results, and is a less expensive option for routine monitoring programs.
When you have confidence in your ID results, you can gain a better understanding of the big picture and the ability to aggregate and trend EM data. But collecting and managing this data can be difficult and time consuming, which is why having the right tool to automate these processes can lead to significant time (and cost) savings.
Why Risk Your Company’s Product and Reputation?
Learn about Charles River's solutions for ensuring product quality while meeting the demands of a changing regulatory environment and still allowing you to decrease assay run time by 80%.
Microbial Identification Services & Resources
• Microbial identification services
• Tracking and trending IDs
• Accugenix® libraries and reporting
• Virtual tour of our lab facility
• Microbial ID in Quality Control Microbiology: An Industry Perspective
• Webinar Replay: Microbial Testing and Quality Control in Cosmetic Manufacturing
• Webinar Replay: The Importance of Cosmetic Microbiology
• Webinar Replay: The Top Questions About Microbial Identification and EM Data Trending